We Know Injury Law

Understanding workers’ compensation in Georgia

On Behalf of | Apr 2, 2018 | Workers' Compensation |

If you suffer an injury while on the job in Georgia, you may have valid concerns about how you will afford medical treatment for it and whether your injury will impact your ability to earn a living. The term “workers’ compensation” refers to the benefits you may receive in the wake of a work injury, which you may be able to use to cover medical care, rehabilitation treatment and the loss of income that may result from it.

If your Georgia employer currently has at least three employees, that law mandates that it must have workers’ compensation insurance, and this insurance covers you from the moment you begin working there.

Types of expenditures workers’ compensation covers

If you receive workers’ compensation benefits following an on-the-job injury, you can typically use it for authorized medical bills, hospital stays and prescription medications you need because of your injury, among related expenses. If your injury is catastrophic, such coverage may extend for the remainder of your life. In most cases, however, you will be able to receive benefits until 400 weeks after the date of your on-the-job accident.

What to do after a work accident

If you suffer a work-related injury, report it to your employer immediately. You only have 30 days from the date of your injury to make your claim, so do not delay. Doing so may prevent you from being able to pursue benefits through this method. Additionally, it is wise to seek immediate medical treatment following your injury, even if it may not appear severe at first glance. Why? In some cases, serious injuries do not become apparent until sometime later. Furthermore, having a paper trail outlining your medical care received in your accident’s aftermath may prove useful down the line.

In addition to seeking medical treatment after a work injury, consider speaking promptly with an attorney. If your employer denies your workers’ compensation claim, you may need to move forward with an appeal.



RSS Feed